The International Society for Biocuration (ISB) is a non-profit organisation that promotes the field of biocuration and was founded in early 2009. It provides a forum for information exchange through meetings and workshops. The society's conference, the International Biocuration Conference, has been held in Pacific Grove, California (2005), San José, CA (2007), Berlin (2009), Tokyo, Japan (2010), Washington, DC (2012), Cambridge, UK (2013), Toronto, Canada (2014), Beijing, China (2015) and Geneva, Switzerland (2016). The meeting in 2017 will be held in Stanford, California.
Aims of the society
The aims of the society include:
- promoting interactions among biocurators
- fostering the professional development of biocurators
- promoting best practices
- ensuring interoperability
- creating and maintaining standards
- promoting relationships with journal publishers.
Executive Committee (EC)
The Executive Committee (EC) is composed of nine (9) elected members, each with a 3 year term. EC members can serve a maximum of two terms. Within the EC, there are positions for Chair, Secretary and Treasurer that are in charge of leading the EC and by extension the membership. Elections for the EC are held on an annual basis. The EC promotes the ISB’s activity to members and non-members, and contributes to the decisions that are taken on behalf of the biocuration community. Additional activities include reviewing microgrant submissions, assisting with organization of the annual Biocuration conference, preparing materials for the ISB election, and maintaining the website.
Biocuration Career Award
- Bateman, Alex (2010-04-15). "Curators of the world unite: the International Society of Biocuration". Bioinformatics. 26 (8): 991–991. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btq101. ISSN 1367-4803.
- Gaudet P, Arighi C, Bastian F, Bateman A, Blake JA, Cherry MJ, D'Eustachio P, Finn R, Giglio M, Hirschman L, Kania R, Klimke W, Martin MJ, Karsch-Mizrachi I, Munoz-Torres M, Natale D, O'Donovan C, Ouellette F, Pruitt KD, Robinson-Rechavi M, Sansone SA, Schofield P, Sutton G, Van Auken K, Vasudevan S, Wu C, Young J, Mazumder R (2012). "Recent advances in biocuration: meeting report from the Fifth International Biocuration Conference". Database (Oxford). 2012: bas036. doi:10.1093/database/bas036. PMC 3483532. PMID 23110974.
- Gaudet P, Mazumder R (2012). "Biocuration Virtual Issue 2012". Database (Oxford). 2012: bas011. doi:10.1093/database/bas011. PMC 3308167. PMID 22434845.
- "Biocuration Career Awards | International Society for Biocuration". www.biocuration.org. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- Grant, Rhys (2020-07-06). "Congratulations to Department members on their recent appointments and awards!". www.bioc.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- amycameron (2018-02-09). "Award for OME Data Curator Eleanor Williams". School of Life Sciences. Retrieved 2020-11-18.