The LA Giltinis are a Major League Rugby team based in Los Angeles, California, United States. The team was announced in 2020 and entered the league in the 2021 season as an expansion franchise. The Giltinis, named for a yet-to-be-released cocktail, are owned by Adam Gilchrist and Loyals Rugby. It is based in El Segundo, California and currently plays at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Darren Coleman was announced as the head coach.
A potential Los Angeles expansion bid for MLR, led by LA Coast Rugby, was announced in 2018 with plans for the team to enter the league in 2019. The team's bid was later replaced by a new proposal from Loyals Rugby, who were announced as the winners of the expansion team in 2020. The team, named for a cocktail like the Austin Gilgronis, began play in 2021. In its first season, the Giltinis posted a 12–4 record, hosted, and defeated Rugby ATL in the MLR final, winning the shield.
|Season||Kit manufacturer||Shirt sponsor|
Note: Flags indicate national union as has been defined under WR eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-WR nationality.
- Senior 15s internationally capped players are listed in bold.
- * denotes players qualified to play for the United States on dual nationality or residency grounds.
- MLR teams are allowed to field up to ten overseas players per match.
- Orene Ai’i (Backs, 2021–present)
- Adam Ashley-Cooper (Backs, 2022)
- Dave Dennis (Forwards, 2022)
- Dave Dennis (2021–present)
LA Giltinis won the Major League Rugby Championship Shield in their inaugural season (2021).
|2021||1st||16||12||0||4||545||305||+240||11||63||Won West Conference Final (Utah Warriors) 17–13|
Won Major League Rugby Final (Rugby ATL) 31-17
- Pengelly, Martin (June 1, 2020). "Major League Rugby announces LA Giltinis, second team named for a drink". The Guardian. Retrieved March 15, 2021.
- "Major League Rugby Officially Welcomes the LA Giltinis" (Press release). Major League Rugby. May 28, 2020. Retrieved May 28, 2020.
- Carroll, Rory (July 11, 2018). "Los Angeles to get professional rugby team in 2019". Reuters. Retrieved March 15, 2021.
- "Meet The Giltinis: LA's New Rugby Team to Open Play At Coliseum March 20". CBS Los Angeles. February 27, 2021. Retrieved March 15, 2021.
- "LA Giltinis". Americas Rugby News. Retrieved 11 December 2021.
- "MLR Champion Adam Ashley-Cooper Swoops into Coaching Role".
- "Giltinis unveil new look Rugby and Commercial departments for 2022".
- "Major League Rugby in crisis as LA and Austin disqualified from playoffs". The Guardian. June 7, 2022. Retrieved July 8, 2022.