This is a list of deserts sorted by the region of the world in which the desert is located.
- Kalahari Desert – a desert covering much of Botswana and parts of Namibia and South Africa
- Karoo Desert – a desert covering parts of southern South Africa
- Namib Desert – a desert in present-day Namibia
- Danakil Desert – a desert lying in the Afar Triangle and covering northeastern Ethiopia, southern Eritrea, southern Djibouti and northwesternmost Somalia
- Eritrean Coastal Desert – a desert lying along the southern part of the coast of Eritrea and the coast of Djibouti
- Guban Desert – a desert lying along the coast of northwestern Somalia
- Grand Bara Desert – a desert covering parts of south Djibouti
- Chalbi Desert – a desert in northern Kenya along the border with Ethiopia
- Nyiri Desert – a desert located in southern Kenya along the border with Tanzania
- Lompoul Desert – a desert lying in northwestern Senegal between Dakar and Saint-Louis
- Sahara Desert – Africa's largest desert and the world's largest hot desert which covers much of North Africa comprising:
- Ténéré – a desert covering northeastern Niger and western Chad
- Tanezrouft – a desert covering northern Mali, northwestern Niger as well as central and southern Algeria, at the west of the Hoggar Mountains
- El Djouf – a desert which covers northeastern Mauritania and parts of northwestern Mali
- Djurab Desert – a desert covering northern central Chad
- Tin-Toumma Desert – a desert covering southeastern Niger, at the south of the Ténéré
- Libyan Desert (also called Western Desert) – a desert covering eastern Libya, western Egypt and northwestern Sudan at the west of the Nile River
- Eastern Desert – a desert covering eastern Egypt and northeastern Sudan between the Nile River and the Red Sea
- Sinai Desert – a desert located on the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt
- Atlantic Coastal Desert – a desert lying along the western coast of the Sahara Desert and occupies a narrow strip in Western Sahara and Mauritania
- Arabian Desert – desert complex on the Arabian Peninsula comprising:
- Al Khatim Desert – a desert near Abu Dhabi
- Al-Dahna Desert – a desert being the main central division of the Arabian Desert and covering parts of Saudi Arabia
- Empty Quarter (Rub' al Khali) – the world's largest sand desert and covering much of Saudi Arabia, Oman, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen
- Nefud Desert – a desert in northern part of the Arabian Peninsula
- Ramlat al-Sab`atayn – a desert in north-central Yemen
- Wahiba Sands – a desert covering great parts of Oman
- Judaean Desert – a desert in eastern Israel and the West Bank
- Negev – a desert located in southern Israel
- Bromo Sand Sea – a volcanic desert in Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park, East Java, Indonesia
- Dasht-e Kavir – a desert in central Iran
- Dasht-e Lut – a large salt desert in southeastern Iran
- Polond Desert – a desert in eastern Iran
- Maranjab Desert – a desert in central Iran
- Katpana Desert – a cold desert in Pakistan
- Indus Valley Desert – a desert located in Pakistan
- Kharan desert – a desert located in Pakistan
- Syrian desert – a desert located in Syria, Jordan and Iraq
- Thal Desert – a desert in Pakistan
- Thar Desert – a desert in India and Pakistan
- Cholistan Desert – a desert in Pakistan
- Dasht-e-Margo – a desert in southwestern Afghanistan
- Kyzyl Kum – a desert in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan
- Kara Kum – a large desert in Central Asia
- Lop Desert – a desert in China
- Ordos – a desert in northern China
- Gobi – a desert in Mongolia and China
- Taklamakan – a desert located in China
- Gurbantünggüt Desert – a desert located in northwestern China
- Kumtag Desert – a desert in northwestern China
- Karapinar Desert – a desert in Southern Central Anatolia
- Bardenas Reales – a semi-arid desert in Navarre, Spain (455 km2)
- Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park
- Monegros Desert – a semi-arid desert in Aragón, Spain
- Tabernas Desert – a semi-arid desert in Almería, Spain (280 km2)
Other European nations
- Błędów Desert – a desert in Poland
- Highlands of Iceland – the interior plateau of Iceland; not a desert by climate, but effectively one because precipitation penetrates the volcanic soil so quickly that the land is infertile (20,000 km2)
- Ryn Desert – a desert in western Kazakhstan and southwestern Russia
- Oltenian Sahara - a desert in Dolj County, Oltenia, Romania
- Chihuahua Desert a desert in Mexico and the United States
- Great Basin Desert
- Mojave Desert a desert in the United States
- Red Desert (Wyoming)
- Sonoran Desert a desert in the United States and Mexico
- Thompson Plateau a desert in Canada
- Central Desert – a central Australian desert
- Gibson Desert – a central Australian desert
- Great Sandy Desert – a northwestern Australian desert
- Great Victoria Desert – the biggest desert in Australia
- Little Sandy Desert – a western Australian desert
- Simpson Desert – a central Australian desert
- Strzelecki Desert – a south-central Australian desert
- Tanami Desert – a northern Australian desert
- Rangipo Desert – a barren desert-like plateau (with 1.5–2.5 m/yr rainfall) on the North Island Volcanic Plateau in New Zealand
- Atacama Desert – a desert in Chile and Peru
- La Guajira Desert – a desert in northern Colombia and Venezuela
- Monte Desert – in Argentina, a smaller desert above the Patagonian Desert
- Patagonian Desert – the largest desert in the Americas, located in Argentina
- Sechura Desert – a desert located south of the Piura Region of Peru
- Jalapão – a desert park in Tocantins, Brazil
- Antarctic Desert – the largest desert in the world
- Arctic Desert – the second largest "desert" in the world, though it consists of frozen ocean, land ice, and tundra, so (like the rest of this section) not a desert climate in any conventional sense
Some geographical features are referred to as "deserts", and this word may even feature in their names, despite not meeting any meteorological definitions for a desert.
- Accona Desert – area of Siena, Italy.
- Barreiro da Faneca – clayey expanse in the Azores.
- Błędowska Desert – area of sands in Poland.
- Carcross Desert – sand-dune system in Yukon, Canada.
- Chara Sands – region of Siberia, Russia.
- Deliblatska Peščara – sand expanse in Vojvodina, Serbia.
- Desert of Maine – 40-acre expanse of glacial sand-dunes in Maine, United States.
- Desert of Wales – a large, upland area of Wales.
- Dunas dos Ingleses – sand-dune system in Brazil.
- Dungeness – single expanse in South East England, United Kingdom, misleadingly nicknamed "Britain's only desert".
- Joaquina Beach – beach in Brazil.
- Kaʻū Desert – an area of desertification in Hawaii, due to the acid rainfall caused by the nearby Kīlauea volcano.
- Larzac – limestone karst plateau in the south of the Massif Central, France.
- Lençóis Maranhenses National Park
- Melnik Desert Canyon – a canyon in Bulgaria.
- Oleshky Sands – sands in Kherson Oblast, Ukraine.
- Oltenian Sahara – area of desertification in Oltenia, Romania.
- The Stone Desert – rock formation in Bulgaria.
- Red Desert – desert-like region in South Africa.
- Sand dunes of Lemnos – sand-dune expanse on Lemnos, Greece.
- Sands of Đurđevac – sand-dune system in Croatia.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes – lakeshore in Michigan, United States.
- Słowiński National Park – sand-dune expanse in Poland.
- Tottori Sand Dunes – sand-dune system in Tottori Prefecture, Japan.
- "Los desiertos de Navarra". Diario Vasco (in Spanish). Vocento. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 13 October 2019.
- Nadal, Paco (19 August 2017). "El desierto de Tabernas, un lugar de otro mundo". El País (in Spanish). Prisa. Retrieved 13 October 2019.
- "Largest desert in the world". Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Hot and cold deserts of the world". Retrieved 2022-03-03.
- Hunt, Nick (11 May 2021). "'Why go to the Sahara when you can visit Kent?': 'desert' life in Dungeness". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 January 2022.